Email Address length check
King Cao
2013-08-06 09:15:27 UTC
Dears,

Why there is no length limitation on Email Address (there is max
length:320 on RFC: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3696)? Is there any plan
on it?
The workaround is that add such checking on PolicyD or Milter.

Regards,
King
Rod Dorman
2013-08-06 14:26:15 UTC
Post by King Cao
Why there is no length limitation on Email Address (there is max
length:320 on RFC: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3696)? Is there any plan
on it?
The workaround is that add such checking on PolicyD or Milter.
In general Postfix follows the guideline of
"Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept"

What issue is Postfix's liberal acceptance causing?
--
***@polylogics.com "Don't poke it if you don't know what it is"
Rod Dorman - Chief Daisuke Aramaki
Wietse Venema
2013-08-06 14:34:01 UTC
Post by King Cao
Dears,
Why there is no length limitation on Email Address (there is max
length:320 on RFC: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3696)? Is there any plan
on it?
Why is feature X not implemented? Building software has a non-zero
cost, even of the result is made available at no cost.

Wietse
King Cao
2013-08-07 01:44:21 UTC
Hi Rod & Wietse,

Many thanks for your reply.
Currently I found our Postfix MTA would accept some illegal email
address. After go thru the Postfix source code, it will parse/check the
email address but not consist with the RFC. That's why I ask this question.
In my original opinion, the address sanity check should follow up the RFC
standard. However I understand that there will be some design/implement
consideration. So no problem here. I will use PolicyD as workaround.

Regards,
King