X-Original-To via XFORWARD?
Patrick Ben Koetter
2013-11-28 10:59:45 UTC
Wietse,

on mailstores (read: Dovecot) we often would like to know X-Original-To in
order to apply SIEVE-Rules against the X-Original-To value.

Obviously it doesn't make sense to add that header and send it via SMTP/LMTP
if a message has more than one recipient. But what if we set
mumble_destination_recipient_limit=1.

Would it then be safe and possible to forward X-Original-To via SMTP/LMTP?

Dovecot (or any other receiver) could use the information and add the header.

***@rick
--
Patrick Ben Koetter
***@state-of-mind.de
Wietse Venema
2013-11-28 12:32:17 UTC
Post by Patrick Ben Koetter
Wietse,
on mailstores (read: Dovecot) we often would like to know X-Original-To in
order to apply SIEVE-Rules against the X-Original-To value.
If Dovecot implements RFC 3461 then it should get the
original recipient in the RCPT TO command.

RCPT TO:<address> ORCPT=rfc822;encoded-address
Post by Patrick Ben Koetter
Obviously it doesn't make sense to add that header and send it via SMTP/LMTP
if a message has more than one recipient.
Well Exim does it,.... and Postfix can be made to do it with
an smtpd_recipient_restrictions PCRE pattern of:

/(.+)/ prepend X-Envelope-To: $1
Post by Patrick Ben Koetter
But what if we set
mumble_destination_recipient_limit=1.
Would it then be safe and possible to forward X-Original-To via SMTP/LMTP?
Dovecot (or any other receiver) could use the information and add the header.
In that case Postfix could be changed to add the header too.

Wietse