Is email address syntax verification in Postfix too strict?
Тарас Савчук
2011-12-18 17:16:23 UTC
Hi All.

Postfix rejects emails to addresses in MAIL FROM/RCPT TO that start with "-", for example:
-***@domain.tld<mailto:-***@domain.tld>
--***@domain.tld<mailto:--***@domain.tld>
In log we have "warning: Illegal address syntax from ..... in RCPT command".

As I understand, it's not RFC-compliant. I didn't read RFCs carefully. But here is short description in Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Local_part
As example, one of the biggest Russian free email service provider (mail.ru) permits such emails.

Can I tune this behavior without changing code?
What reason to place too tight restrictions on email address syntax (especially on the local part)?

Thanks in advance and thanks for Postfix!

Savchuk Taras
Michael Tokarev
2011-12-18 16:21:28 UTC
Post by Тарас Савчук
Hi All.
This list is for postfix development.

Besides, check allow_min_user parameter. It has nothing to do with
address verification.

Thanks,

/mjt
Michael Tokarev
2011-12-18 16:23:09 UTC
Post by Michael Tokarev
Post by Тарас Савчук
Hi All.
This list is for postfix development.
Besides, check allow_min_user parameter. It has nothing to do with
address verification.
And also please fix your local timezone which is off by one hour.

Thanks,

/mjt